We are a Melbourne family company with over 50 years experience working leather. Our story began over sixty years ago when Silvio and his 3 brothers arrived in Melbourne from Italy with a dream to start a new life. They worked in the shoe factories of Collingwood, Northcote and Fitzroy during the early 1960’s, starting their own specialist leather production business in 1967.
Using their skills in leather craftsmanship, the four brothers established a highly successful business, manufacturing high quality leather products for many industries including footwear, textiles, furniture, craft and sports.
The family business has been operating continuously since 1967, supplying Australian brands including Australia’s most famous and iconic boot makers, R.M. Williams.
We are proud to be Australian and that we produce our products right here in Melbourne from Australian leather. Where all manufacturing seems to be leaving our shores, we are doing our best not to lose the skills that have been handed down through the generations by Keeping it Local!
All our DiPell sports products are Made In Australia and have been proudly acknowledged by the Australian Made Campaign.
Leather’s Natural Advantage
DiPell leather sports grips and tapes use sports-tanned leather, designed for high durability, grip and comfort. The inherent fibre structure of this natural product combined with our chamfering technique allows DiPell handle bar tapes and sports grips to be highly resistant to forms of abrasion expected in the world of competitive sports while maintaining grip in all conditions.
We use dyed through leather, which means the colour penetrates all the way through the hide as opposed to commonly used surface painted leather. Combined with leather’s naturally breathable structure, DiPell products will disperse sweatband water while maintaining superior grip and leaving your hands feeling dry.
Using our dual tapering system, our tape interlock while wrapping. This means once wrapped, DiPell leather tape will not move or lift its edges even under intense use. Made from selected hides with no joins so bar tapes are single-piece and completely seamless!
- Sports-tanned leather, specifically developed for the rigours of serious competition, dispersing sweat and water while maintaining grip.
- Our leather tape wears in; where as synthetic tape wears out, so our leather improves with time.
- Lightened leather bar tape for competition, so you get all the benefits of leather without paying a penalty in added weight to your bike.
- Made from selected hides with no joins so bar tapes are single-piece and completely seamless!
- An interlocking taper system means that once wrapped, DiPell leather tape has no raised edges.
- Has enough natural stretch and flexibility to easily wrap and pull tightly around curves.